Suicidal Foot 4.0 - Hell Break
This blog contains five years worth of rants and babbles. It is not for the faint hearted, nor the nosy, nor for the narrow minded. It does not discriminate sex nor religious preferences. It loves you because nobody ever will. All hail Suicidal Foot! All hail the drama queen who writes, and her little servant boy!
Tuesday, October 2, 2012 @ 4:43:00 PM
RIP Online Freedom (edited).

RIP, Freedom of Speech & Freedom of Expression

[A/N] Ipinupusta ko ang limang taong kasama ko ang url na http://suicidalfoot.blogspot.com. I moved my blog in a not so very secret place, and here goes nothing...

I have read most of the Cybercrime Prevention Act of 2012, but not all of it. I may be wrong and I apologize in advance to whoever might get offended with this post.

We are in the digital age. We use our computers and phones to communicate, share, and discover. Facebook and Twitter have both became powerful tools of information dissemination. Aside from products and services, and events, and people, politic propaganda has also reached the said social networking site. Supporters of politicians bash each other. Parody accounts humiliated and branded a lot of corrupt and obviously incompetent politicians. But this "law" is beyond Facebook status and Twitter updates.

I am sure that at one point in our lives we have illegally downloaded copyrighted music, photos, videos; and some probably illegally shared their illegally acquired media. It is not that we want to harm industries that are concerned. When I was first introduced to the internet, I did not know that I was doing something illegal. I might have downloaded gigabytes of illegal media before I found out it was wrong. But, I could not do much about it. I did not know how to buy songs online, or why the need to pay for hard copies of magazines that had scans. And, how about our anime? Should I fly to Japan and buy them, and there won't be any subtitles, too?! And besides, it's already uploaded, I might as well take advantage of it.

Still, the Government is right: sharing copyrighted files is illegal.

I have been ranting for 5 years know, about school, about life, sometimes about the Government, too. I express my opinions and my raged thoughts. I believe it is my freedom to say what I want in my blog. It is, afterall, my blog. I am not asking my readers to agree with me. I am just starting an argument in their minds, to start them thinking on their own. I fuel their interest.

I would understand censoring Facebook and Twitter. This may be hard for me to say, but, I guess it makes sense. A lot of people will be influenced if someone said something in FB and Twitter. Worse part is, most of these people would not even know the whole story. Because it is a social networking site, you most like scroll through it, LIKE it, or RETWEET it, and then move on to the other topics shared. Because of the fast-paced online life in social networking sites, we either agree or disagree, most of the time without question.

But, a Cybercrime Prevention Law is not the answer to this. Whichever angle you look at it, this is an oppression of the Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Expression. Why not just tell people to be informed first before liking a page or a post, or before sharing a propaganda photo. (Okay, look who's talking, the girl who didn't even read the act in it's entirety).

How about cybersex? Seriously, guys. Do we still need to talk about this? If women and kids are being sold online, then, yes, that is obviously illegal. I'm sure there's a law for that already. But, what about two knowing, willing people (gender sensitive)? I think it is my choice to send a nude picture to my boyfriend if he asked for it. If I was offended we could talk about it like grown-ups. If I was harassed, why did I even have him as my boyfriend in the first place, right? Anyway, you say, what if they are strangers who just met online. One time they agreed to do webcam, then suddenly, the other party is jerkin' off. Well, I say, close that shit and delete that person from your network. You know, you have the power to block people from whatever accounts you are using. That's the magic of internet, baby.

I think it is time for us to grow up. This should not be such a big issue. It doesn't need a genius to figure out that this Cybercrime Prevention Law is just another excuse to use taxpayers' money.

#NoToCyberCrimeLaw

Labels: , , , , , , ,

posted by LOR | Permalink