Suicidal Foot 4.0 - Hell Break
This blog contains five years worth of rants and babbles. It is not for the faint hearted, nor the nosy, nor for the narrow minded. It does not discriminate sex nor religious preferences. It loves you because nobody ever will. All hail Suicidal Foot! All hail the drama queen who writes, and her little servant boy!
Monday, March 12, 2012 @ 2:12:00 AM
Return.


By Delfin Mercado

At one point in our lives, we hope,we wish for something to return. A feeting moment, a memorable night out, a valuable device. Or a person.
When we yearn for things, or people, to return, what we really want is to turn backtime, to relive a particular moment, to stopthe clock and relish with delight a wonderful memory. But when things do return, when relished moments happen again, we do not simply relive the moment – we create new memories, and subsequently, albeit unintentionally, we rewrite the past.
The concept of reoccurrence, of return, is perhaps just wishful thinking. There aremany opportunities that only open once,many events that cannot be repeated, manythings that cannot be fixed or replaced, and people whose return are impossible.
And the implausibility of return of ten times closes our minds to the possibility of the impossible; not letting us see that there remains a fraction of a chance forreappearance. Once deemed impossible,the practicality of the situation overwhelms us, and convinces us to simply shrug off all remaining possibilities and move on.
Such state of mind is the cause of surprise, or in graver instances, shock. For if things we deemed impossible would happen, if people who we thought we lost would reappear, our minds cannot readily accept such incident, for it challenges facts that we have already established in our systems and breaks down the truth that we have learned toaccept and believe in for so long.
That’s how I felt when you returned. You were like the early monsoon rains, anunbelievable occurrence in the sweltering tropical summer. You returned. Out ofnowhere, without prior notice.
“Hello,” you greeted, in your usual uncanny self, with your wide grin spanning the width of your weather-stained face– a face that I have long yearned for. For amoment, I was not able to talk. Is this real, Iasked myself. You kept on grinning.
It has been exactly a year and a half since I last saw you, in the dark streets of Manila,after watching a film in one of the rundown movie houses in the inner city. After that, youdisappeared. No goodbyes, and not even asingle piece of information since that day.
For some months, I tried searching. But I failed to fnd any clues leading to you. By the fourth month, I gave up. And I let youslide into the back of my head, along withall the renegade nights we spent together. And now, out of nowhere, here youstand, recounting to me all the bizarre adventures you have had this past year.I cannot concentrate on what you were saying, as your chapped lips and your distinct new accent confused me.
“And what do you do now?” you asked.
“I write a column,” I said. And you fell silent. In that silence, I realized what was wrong.You cannot just return for you have no roomin my life anymore. Or so I think. I gave out aloud sigh and told you I have a bus to catch.
Be careful what you wish for, I said tomyself, as I walked past you, and past the lamppost that cast an eerie yellow glow to your sunburnt skin.

Terminal Cases
published March 8, 2012
Philippine Collegian
Taon 89, Blg. 29

Labels: , ,

posted by LOR | Permalink